NYC: Day 1: Brodner and Dillon Lectures


Steve Brodner, Illustrator, lectured first thing at the Society of Illustrators
Chad Grohman peeks at the camera as MFA students catch up with eachother
We all found our way to the Society of Illustrators by 8:30, after schlepping portfolios, tubes and backpacks through the morning rush on the streets. Coffee was hot and everyone was catching up since our July session. By 9:30, editorial artist Steve Brodner was in full swing, still energized by the recent election buzz and all things political. He lectured on his work, motivation, style and direction. Brodner wrapped up the hour with a full showing of his New Yorker web cast editorial pieces from youtube.

We broke for lunch and i wolfed down a meatloaf sandwich (currently dealing with a bad acid reflux from it... ughh...) a hamburger on a slab of rye, then i met with my thesis adviser, Bill Thompson. I have some lofty goals for my two years, and will need to hunker down into production mode between now and the March session.

We were back in or seats by 1pm with the Dillons, a husband and wife illustration team. they claim to have three artists in their house, Leo and Diane and the third entity that is their joint efforts. Quite a fascinating team. They always seem to be experimenting. I like their approach.

A exhibit of original children's story artwork is hanging in the SI gallery, and I got to see my favorite watercolorist, Hardie Gramatky and a couple of his Lil' Toot images. Earl Lewis, and old instructor from UARTS is on the walls, as well as a couple of my fellow MFA students... I feel like I've got to kick it into gear to keep up with these guys!

We have a studio tour and photoshoot at the Lewin's in Brooklyn in the morning... They live across from Pratt, so if I get too lost with the three trains I have to take, I can always ask for directions to Pratt.

Comments

Linda Smith said…
So cool to have your blog come up on my Google Alert, Paul! I'm Hardie Gramatky's daughter and I'm going back to see the S of I show this Wednesday. Your words are so special. AND I met Earl Lewis a couple of weeks ago in Westport, CT, where I live and just love his watercolors!

Just heard today that Dad's two Little Toot illustrations were chosen for the 40 illustrations to be in the Original Art 2008 traveling show for the next year that goes to schools all over the country. Dad would be amazed that almost 30 years after he died that he is still remembered.

I look forward to seeing your illustrations. Thanks for this nice surprise.

Linda (Gramatky Smith)

Popular Posts