Worry Bird

zdepski's drawing of the Worry Bird, Flugimistletoeboo

The Worry Bird - Flugimistletoeboo

Digital illustration derived from a carving my father did, long before I was born. I have seen the Worry Bird on the side of WW2 airplanes, and also as a character by Daniel Clowes. I wanted to put my own spin on it, but try to place elements from my Dad's carving; big beak, crossed feet, no wings, but without a pine cone body.

I'm sure my pop saw it in a magazine or while he was living in Alaska. It must have been part of some obscure pop-culture reference or song of the day... The name alone has a real "Andrew's Sisters" feel to it... I'm still researching.

The Worry Bird has got a place in my heart, like the Kitchen Witch, especially when trying to juggle so many things at once, as I do... Let HIM worry about it, not me.

Steven Zdepski's carving of the Worry Bird, Flugimistletoeboo

Carving of the Worry Bird by Steven Zdepski - Flugimistletoeboo

B-24 Bomber - The Worry Bird

B-24 Bomber - The Worry Bird

Comments

Ana M.F. said…
cool work, love the old picture too.
I think I need a worry bird!
Love it. His expression puts everything in perspective.
Anonymous said…
That B-24 was the "Worry Bird" from the 446th Bomb Group stationed in Bungay, England in WWII. The young airmen stepping out of the parachute was my father in-law. A scaled replica of this plane, that he built to scale and by hand, is now hanging from the ceiling at the 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah Georgia. By the way, the would touch the "Worry Bird" before a mission to bring them good luck.
zillustration said…
Thank you Anonymous! My pop would have been very pleased to hear your father-in-law's story. Dad had rescued a A-26 Ventura crew from the ocean off of Kodiak Island with a contingent of Aleut Indians from Karluk. The bomber crew and my dad were bonded from that experience though the late 1990s at his passing. Thank you so very much for your comment.

Popular Posts