shrunken head nyc

zdepski's digital painting of a shrunken head
I took a photo of a shrunken head in a glass vacuum jar while in SoHo NYC. I just found the photo and did a quick Cintiq painting of it in grays in Adobe Photoshop. Two days later I was messing in Corel Painter 11, trying to fine-tune some brushes for an upcoming comic book project. A good pen tool is in desperate need, so I made a new pen I call "Comic Inker", which is how I did the hair on the shrunken head. I didn't get to into the rope, but that would be very much a penned item if taken further.

I need to sculpt a couple more heads for my display. I've got to find some doll hair, or an old wig to use. The replacement hair from Michael's is awful; too curly and tangles too easily.

Comments

Awesome. Shrunken heads...I would never have guessed what good subject matter they could be! The digital inking looks great. And this illo matches your blog color scheme perfectly!

Popular Posts