VA Earthquake 2011

Zdepski's Shed falls off the foundation during the VA Earthquake of 2011
Damage hits home... more like hits my Garden Shed. I have a huge amount of figured maple, both curly and birds-eye stacked on the right-hand side to 4 x 4.5 x 10 feet. That plus a snowblower, bicycles, garden and construction tools and a 30 foot ladder hanging off the side makes for a prime earthquake casualty. I didn't notice until today, since I needed the grass trimmer. There she is, uninsured and needing to be rebuilt. No money blues, since it all goes to Virginia Commonwealth University, where my daughter had to pickup a pile of clothes that fell from her closet.

Gonna have to dig piers and set footings for the rebuild... bigger-stronger-faster.
I needed to make it big enough to handle the blue mower in the seen to the right of the photo. It's far to big to fit through the door.

I experienced the 5.9 earthquake while at work. I thought the guy across the cubicle wall had a "Jimmy Leg". He's bounced it in the past when nervous about a big project. I looked up to tell him to cut it out, to find him looking at me to stop MY Jimmy Leg! The frequency of the bouncing stayed the same, but the waves got bigger and the sound was like a freight train crossing, or a Chinook helicopter coming in to land. In 30 seconds, it was over. No worse for wear, other than a cracked window in the office suite on the other side of the building (Area B). That was it, until I discovered the Shed taking a Dump.

Well, we got off easy.


Comments

Indigene said…
Glad you and the family are okay! Now the hurricane...take care and be careful.

Popular Posts