IF: Duet

Discussing Schiele - an oil painting by Paul Zdepski
Discussing Schiele
two fellow students from my UARTs graduating class from the 90s - Mark Natale and the lovely Patricia Quintero (who seems to be lost to the online world without a website). The piece is all about hand gestures mimicking the Egon Schiele piece that is hung on the wall behind them... it's all about the hands. We meet them during a lull in the conversation... or an mild disagreement. This is one of my favorite pieces dealing with a particular human body part, the hand.

The piece is 16x20 inches, oil on canvas, executed a while ago, but dated 2011 here because you can't read my signature in original oil painting.

click to enlarge the view to 1000px wide.

Comments

Laia Jufresa said…
I like that it has an undesrtated Shiel-ly feeling, expressionist even
Unknown said…
I'm not familiar with the artist but dig the style, very cool
Indigene said…
He would have been one of those artist, I certainly would have like a conversation with! Wow! I love this style and the story behind it.
I like the subtlety of their hands, and how you chose not to show gestures and fingers except in the painting on the wall. And the space between the people has the power of "empty" space that isn't really empty at all! Cool painting.
Ana M.F. said…
Schiele has always been one of my favourites.
Nice work :)
Zina said…
Love this. The color, the mood, the brushwork. Everything.
sally g said…
Cool painting
Anonymous said…
Paul, I love this piece! The palette, paint handling and the body language create great tension and mood. On my best day, I hope to get close to the atmosphere you have in this. Bravo.
zillustration said…
I'm humbled and thankful for your comments. I always wondered if this was sub-par due to my lack of dramatic lighting... I thank you for letting me know I don't always need dramatic chiaroscuro.

Popular Posts