IF: Modify

zdpeski's monoprint Hi C 1
zdpeski's monoprint Hi C 2
zdpeski's highschool age drawing of a trumpet player
Modifying an old...old piece. Was digging through a dark corner of the studio, looking for some thick glass to try creating my first mono-print. I found the glass, but I also found a crazy drawing I did in 1979... I was a sophomore in high school. I had to rework the line by tracing the drawing digitally and that's what you see here. I didn't want to recreate what I had done 30 years ago, but I did want to use it as a template for a new set of pieces... modifying my old inspiration into something new.

I laid the old drawing under the glass and began painting in oil. The first print was pulled on a lightly dampened piece of Strathmore drawing paper. I didn't like the inconsistency of the print, so I pulled a ghost print and reworked both with paint, rollers and dry-brushes. I'm liking the effect. It has a real 1950s feel. think i'll try some more... perhaps with some more recent drawings as source material.

click to enlarge

Comments

peg nocciolino said…
Hey Paul, Love this! I see you were inspired by Gary. I am dying to do more monotypes. Nice!
sandra.d. said…
paul, this are beautiful illustrations, bravo! ;]
Coreopsis said…
Wow--I really like how the prints turned out--especially the one on the top. I never would have thought of doing this. Fabulous colors.
Indigene said…
Wow! This is beautiful! I do so love the line drawing, too!

Popular Posts