AK Baby - Color or not to Color...

AKBaby painting by Paul Zdepski, 2008
I put a kiddie-chromatic colors to the AK-Baby, but I'm beginning to regret it. I wanted to take the somberness off of the heavy earth-tone version it had been... My wife liked it better then, and I think I should have trusted her eye. I wanted to push towards irony, rather than the weighty Kathe Kolowitz / Otto Dix piece it had been. My desire to paint like a 1920s Berliner is something I have to constantly fight. Social themes demand that sort of handling. I just didn't want to have folks walking past it without taking it in, just because it WAS so dark and brooding before. Now I have those lovely Nick at Night and Disney colors on the stock and barrel. I dunno... Still debating. It's a gallery piece I plan on showing at the Blue Elephant in the fall. I should run it past David Heatwole and get his input.

I leave for Hartford tomorrow. Most of you know this already, but I will be posting progress and discoveries here over the next few weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts