Memorial Jam

C.C. Chipley's Jelly

It was a touching memorial service for my friend Tom Chipley's bride's passing. "C.C." was much loved and respected member of the Mt. Jackson, VA community and art scene. She was known for her recipes and canned goods, given as gifts and brought out on special occasions. We all gathered at the Bowman-Shannon Cultural Arts Center to remember her and to gather close to Tom as a community of friends.

I was delighted to find six jars of preserves that C.C. had made before she passed on. I cut a slice of French bread into six little wedges and place a dollop of each flavored jam or chutney on each.

They were wonderful... the fruit was still snappy under the tooth, rather than being cooked to mush. C.C. had complex notes in each of her concoctions. I was blown away by the differences.

It's funny how food can tie you to someone's talents and thoughts. She was an artisan. Her art was alive on my pallet for those few minutes. I was in a communion with her art, as if she were standing by the stove top with a wooden spoon stained deep purple with summer's berries.

We gathered to celebrate her life, and I was happy she was able to attend, too.

Comments

Popular Posts