Watercolor: Overhaulin'



my old watercolor box was in really, really bad shape. you can see the years of crud, ceramic chips, other color bits and dirt and dog hair... I scrubbed each color pan, salvaging eight or ten of the original winsor newton colors, however i also bought six color tubes to fill the pans of colors that were too far gone. i have the set drying beneath the air duct in my studio, slow drying the tube color. i'm pleased to have spent the time to get this together. i feel like i have clean starting point to work from. i need a couple of new colors, hopefully those from Dennis Nolan's pallet... waiting for feed back from Hartford to find out how to get the list. each of the old color pans had a handwritten color title on the bottom of them, all in the hand of old Mr. Graff, the artist that my dad bought the entire studio from. Mr. Graff's auction was when my dad bought every last stretcher, tube, brush, canvas scrap, ruler, caliper and copper tack the old man had, and gave them to me. At the age of 15, dad let me know he thought my artistic talent was worthy of supporting. I now know how rare and wonderful that act was... thanks dad. I miss you.

UPDATE: Master Dennis Nolan just emailed his watercolor pallet:

All Winsor Newton tube colors to fill pans

Chromatic palette - all transparent, you should be able to
mix most any color with these

Winsor Lemon
Winsor Yellow
French Ultramarine
Winsor Blue (green shade) or Prussian Blue
Scarlet Lake
Permanent Rose

Earth palette - I like this more muted palette of completely
permanent colors, they can all be mixed from the Chromatic
palette however

Yellow Ochre
Raw Umber
Burnt Sienna
Indian red
Viridian

I usually paint with the Earth palette and add French
Ultramarine, Prussian Blue, Permanent Rose, and Viridian

Comments

Popular Posts