Hartford | Day 13




Top: Me and my Children's book spread during the critique, photo by Ed Tuttle.
Mid: David Labrozzi during the crit
Bottom: The Big Crit Four, Background: Vin Di Fate, Betsy Lewin Foreground: Ted Lewin and Murry Tinkelman's back.
The final crit of the Children's Book comp. We were able to turn the projects around in a week, with total exhaustion. Many of these will be left where they ended on Friday, but many others have strong possibilities to become published children's stories. Ted and Betsy Lewin tackled the walls with persistence and care for each individual project, running nearly an hour over our scheduled end of class. With 20 people represented, each showing 32 pages, it took a ton of effort to move it along. I got some great feedback on my project, especially with my closing 5 pages and how I can sew it up into a tighter package. I was satisfied with my imagery, especially at this early stage, but my story needs to move quicker, tighter and with more dynamic pacing. I have heard plenty of horror stories about children's books and rhyme, so i may ditch that whole idea and push it into a standard tale.
After our critique on Friday afternoon, we went to the main gallery to view the graduating classes' show, then off to to the dinner and ceremony at the campus restaurant. Ron Mazzellin's speech was stirring. I scribbled notes on his main points of successful illustration, which had as much to do with day to day living, as being an artist.

Saturday: David Labrozzi and I left Avon CT by 10, drove, got gas, drove, ate, drove, cut off two cars, drove, got gas, dropped David off at Target (I think he lives in the parking lot somewhere) THEN the real drive started... in the last 10 miles. I hit a torrential rain storm that stopped traffic in the highway, both shoulders and crawling for cover every where you looked. My wipers were clearing it as fast as they could, but the hail was slamming so fast on the windshield, I could only make out brake lights and hazards through the rippling waterfall that was my windshield. I kept rolling forward for the next 10 minutes, then started to see the sun breaking through, while the rain pounded the highway... it was totally eerie. Within the last three miles, you wouldn't have known it had rained. it was just that weird. Lightning and black in my rear view mirror, blue sky and sunshine over the hood.

It's good to be home. I have a ton of homework, lecture papers and projects to being working on, but it's nice to hug the family and see my lovely bride.

I'm in a good place.

It was the right thing to do, starting the MFA... It's where I belong. Good things are about to happen if I keep on my toes and keep the eyes opened for opportunities.

Comments

Popular Posts