Richmond Risks

Zdepski's two styles of painting, featuring Meth Text and Flawed Flotation
I've sunk a few bucks entering 10 pieces in the Richmond Virginia Illustrator's Club 3rd Annual Show. It's to be judged by Marshal Arisman, the creator of some very dark and moody imagery, and the chair of the the MFA in Illustration program at the School of Visual Arts in NYC.

Here's my thinking... I have two very different styles I'm pursuing. One dark and moody, dealing with addiction, vice and suffering... the other is zany children's work.

I split my entries into 5 Dark pieces:
Meth Text (shown above - click to make bigger)
Meth Mist
TB
Harbinger of War (Death Angel)
Giselle

The Light pieces are:
Flawed Flotation (shown above - click to make bigger)
A is for Ava
Pups Climbing on Ladder
Petey with Pox
Squirrel on Squirrel Action

Now, wait and see which, if any - get into the show. I can't draw any true conclusions from this, other than Marshal Arisman's tastes on that particular day. However, I think both ways of working have their merits, and I can't seem to leave either behind.

BTW, I just got my membership card for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators

Comments

Chad Grohman said…
Good Luck... Hope you get in.

Popular Posts