Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baron von Sputnik - Swamp Dog

zdepski's illustration of his great aunt's dog, Baron von Sputnik
The Tantes had a swamp mongrel they named "Baron von Sputnik", hybridizing their ever present German heritage and the Soviet threat hovering high overhead. The poor mutt was a collarless pup that never saw a bathtub, other than the occasional Spring rain or rolling in a bog. Since my great aunts survived on canned sardines and Quaker Oatmeal, I don't think the dog had a diet of anything else.

7 comments:

Honeydew Branchweed said...

Wow, I sort of envy the Tantes. I just returned from a well visit for our new puppy and was handed about 150 brochures explaining everything I need to do to keep Fido healthy and happy. My head is in a tizzy. I resemble Baron VS without the hovering flies. Cool illustration. :)

Connie said...

Great drawing a probably a pretty good diet for all of them!

Greg Newbold said...

Nice character Paul. I feel sorry for the old mutt

Shirley said...

Great expression and illustration!

Cindy D. said...

What a great dog! I love his face. I would not be surprised if he hunted up a bit of lizard or other small critters to supplement his strange diet.

Coreopsis said...

Delightful drawing! He doesn't look like he has a clue, but that's okay, because is a dog.

Creations By Mit said...

Love your dog, & have been enjoying the story!