Mesmerizing Duck King

zdepski's illustration of the Duck King - Moebius tribute
The Duck King
A tribute to Jean "Moebius" Giraud, and his influential work with Alejandro Jodorowsky and the Incal series in Heavy Metal. I was very taken with Giraud's work when I was a high school and college student in the early 1980s, and seeing his newer work with the Wacom Cintiq tablet furthers my interest.

The Duck King is just a weird little sketch from my trusty Strathmore sketchbook, imported into Photoshop for line clean-up and color. I used my old Intuos3 tablet in Photoshop CS5. You'll notice the same blue-gray used from the Hover Vespa piece, which was still in my color swatches in Photoshop. I think it works well with the little yellow Duck King ducking bubbles.

Click to enlarge the picture.

Comments

Really nice. I love the color, and the pov.
Shiny.....mesmerizing ;)
michele said…
The Duck King had me so mesmerized, I couldn't look away. But I finally noticed the cool Hover Vespa when he was duck-king behind the bubbles! Both are great!
k.h.whitaker said…
I like this very much, very mesmerizing ;)
Beautiful work in photo shop. This looks like something that could be printed on a t-shirt or something.
andrea said…
Cool!!! I love Moebius, too...
zillustration said…
Thank you, all! Pushing these goofy drawings to different places has been a great exercise. You go places the piece wants to go, not really thinking about a specific "final".
Richard Ewing said…
Moebius was one of my favorites in the early eighties when I was a high school/college student as well He was the coolest thing going.
I like the twists on the crown.



nice tribute.

.
Anne Cooper said…
Great work! I can see this expanding into a storyline, perhaps the court of the Duck King? :) I'm a big Moebius fan too, his environments and landscapes in particular are superb.
Anonymous said…
Illustration is a serious business. You got a wonderful gift. Would you care the share the software you used on each? I am getting fond of several drawing apps now that I have an iPad. Do you use them?

Popular Posts