Friday, April 22, 2011

Girl's Bike

zdepski's Cintiq Illustration Girl's Bike
Girl's Bike - Cintiq Illustration

zdepski's pencil sketch for Girl's Bike
Girl's Bike

I was one of seven kids. We didn't start out on our own bicycles when learning to ride... we tested our wings on older sibling's bikes. I learned to ride a "two-wheeler" by using my older sister's "girl's bike", which was a 1950's style Beach cruiser. The girls were very much shepherds to my brother James and me. They taught us how to ride bare-foot and how to go off of dirt-ramp jumps... totally responsible kids...

Riding these bikes was a chore - they were extremely heavy and I was way too short to sit on the seat. I learned to ride by standing on the pedals, coasting at first. When I fell, I fell hard.

No, I didn't own such cool Steampunk eye ware as a kid, but this is how I felt - cool.

needless to say, I was teased by the big kids for riding a "Girl's Bike".

Click the pick to see the dirty knees!

13 comments:

Elena said...

I really like the energy of this sketch;the seat springs, the toes, the boney little arms. Nice.

LAConley said...

This has such a cool feel to it. It would look great just as it is on a t-shirt!

michele said...

Too much! Your perspective almost gives this a "Kustom" feel... Cruisin' and cool, for sure! :o)

juggergnat said...

very cool. perspective is awesome and the size difference between kid and bike tells a hilarious story.

MIKE said...

ha looks like your riding a chopper! I was one of six kids ... so yeah we shared our bikes too. One badass BMX between me and my two brothers.

Elizabeth McMahill said...

great drawing, and I love the story behind it.

Beth Anne Maresca said...

So funny! LOVE it!

Susanna said...

super stoer!!!!
cool

Alex said...

that's freakin cool man! It brought back memories of my first bike (a hand-me-down too) It was called a Sketchum Flier and I loved it!

Indigene said...

Being one of 8 kids, I can totally relate! I adore this illustration, knees and all! I'll bet you were a very cool kid! :)

Katarzyna Zalewska said...

Nice perspective, and story from childhood behind this illustration. I remember my red bike "Wigry 3", he he - really nice feeling - even now, when I look back I smile too myself :)

Robert said...

Badass! Very cool. Yeah here ya on sharing toys as kids! Very nice illo!

Priscilla said...

coolness. Nothing else to be said :)